It is very exciting to employ your first member of staff, and in addition to the equipment needed there are a few legal requirements that need to be met when employing staff for the first time.
- Decided how much to pay them, this must be at least the national minimum wage or the national living wage if over 25.
- Do they have the right to work in the UK?
- Do they need a DBS check?
- Get employment insurance as you need to have employers’ liability insurance.
- Provide your new employee with details of the job in writing, this is required for any individual you employ for more than 1 months.
- Register with HMRC as a new employer, this can be done up to 4 weeks before you pay your new staff.
- From October 2017 all new employers will need to enrol their staff into a workplace pension.
Should you need any support with becoming an employer please give us a call as we can help with all of the processes from start to finish.